Blogs > At Ease with Larece Galer

Larece Galer brings you the latest military news. To submit items for this column or the online listings, send them to: The News-Herald, Attn.: Larece Galer, 7085 Mentor Ave., Willoughby, OH 44094; fax to 440-975-2293; or via email to LGaler@News-Herald.com.

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Proud widow of a United States Marine


 Proud widow of a United States Marine

My name is Olivia Scarano and I would like to tell you about my husband, Sgt. David A. Scarano, Vietnam Veteran of the United States Marine Corps.
David enlisted in the Marine Corps right out of high school on June 10, 1966 and went to Parris Island, South Carolina for boot camp. From there to Camp LeJeune, North Carolina for training and he then joined the 5th Marine Division at Camp Pendleton, California. ON February 10, 1968 he arrived in Vietnam to serve with the 27th Marines. On December 27, 1968, he was wounded when a friendly Vietnamese civilian accidentally dropped a M779 round that detonated. My husband was flown to Japan for treatment where he received nine transfusions of blood which was tainted with the Hepatitis C virus. After recuperating in Bethesda Naval Hospital he was retired from the Marine Corps on August 22, 1969. He received the Purple Heart for his injuries.
David passed away on September 23, 2009 due to liver cancer as a result of having Hepatitis C. I tried to have his name inscribed on the Vietnam Wall in Washington, but because his wounds were received in a noncombat situation he was not eligible. He did qualify for the “In Memory” program at the Wall and my family and I attended the ceremony on Flag Day, June 14, 2012. It was a beautiful and touching event.
I wanted to pass along my husband’s story because I am so proud of his service and sacrifice. I am so happy that I was able to give him the honor he deserved.
Olivia Scarano
Eastlake

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home